What clothing is necessary for backpacking in the Mountain West in 3-season conditions? Let’s discuss.
I define the Mountain West as the semi-arid ranges of the Sierra Nevada, Intermountain West, and Rockies. Examples:
- Pacific Crest Trail in California and southern Oregon
- High Sierra, including the John Muir Trail and multiple high routes, e.g. Sierra High Route, Kings Canyon High Basin Route
- Colorado Trail and Pfiffner Traverse
- Northern Rockies: Wind River Range, Yellowstone, Bob Marshall Wilderness, and Glacier National Park
- High Uintas and Wasatch
- Sky Islands in Arizona and New Mexico
From the Core 13 Clothing Collection, I recommend just ten items for the Mountain West. Mix-and-match them to create appropriate clothing systems for each season. Watch the video above for a general explanation, and review the lists below for specific recommendations.
Late-Summer through early-Fall
The post Recommended clothing systems: Backpacking in the Mountain West appeared first on Andrew Skurka.
Powered by WPeMatico